PPG Flat Glass has announced a price increase on its primary glass products, effective December 2. The company attributes the increase to “material, operating and distribution costs despite continuing implementation of productivity improvements and cost mitigation efforts.”
“To provide sufficient reinvestment economics that will justify continuing product supply and future product development, we find it necessary to increase pricing on our primary glass products,” writes Mark Seeton, director of sales and customer service for PPG’s flat glass unit, in a November 7 letter to customers.
The letter denotes the following details:
• 12-percent increase for all thicknesses of clear and pattern class;
• 6-percent increase for 6-mm Solarban®60 and 60VT glass on clear glass;
• No change for current pricing on Solarban 70XL glass on 6-mm Starphire® glass, Solarban 70XL VT glass on 6-mm clear glass or Sungate® 500 and 600 glasses;
• 9-percent increase for all other products;
• Heat-strengthened and tempered glasses will increase by the amount shown above for the base substrate; and
• Cut-to-size 6-mm Solarban glasses will be addressed via the PPG Certified Fabricator® Network Cut Size matrix under separate cover, according to the letter.
This is one of several price increases announced in recent weeks. Guardian Industries also recently announced an increase that will take effect on November 25.